Choosing The Right Type Of Vapor Degreaser
Vapor degreasing is one of the most effective ways to thoroughly clean machine parts and components. But with a variety of options, it’s important to choose the right vapor degreaser for the job. Below, learn more about the types of vapor degreasers available and how to maximize and streamline your cleaning process.
What Is Vapor Degreasing?
Despite the many types of vapor degreasers available to you, they all share a common purpose — to clean contaminants such as greases, oils and flux from parts, even the hard-to-reach components of industrial machinery. Here’s how the process works:
- First, the selected solvent is boiled, creating a potent vapor than condenses to envelop every surface to be cleaned.
- Once the vapor thoroughly coats all surfaces, the degreaser works by dissolving soils and grease.
- Finally, the now-liquified solvent drips from those surfaces into a reservoir below, carrying with it the unwanted grease and grime. That same solvent can be collected and reused for future cleaning.
It’s a simple process that leaves machine parts clean and dry. At Enviro Tech, we specialize in smart vapor degreasing solutions and will work with you to ensure that you have the right solvent for your requirements.
Vapor Degreaser Types
Depending on the application, there are three main solvent chemistry types from which to choose:
- Oxygenated solvents made from oxygen molecules — Derived from petroleum products, these solvents are lower in toxicity and high in cleaning power.
- Hydrocarbon solvents containing hydrogen and carbon atoms —Including both aliphatic and aromatic solvents, this category is complex and more likely to be customized for specific purposes.
- Halogenated solvents containing halogen atoms — Containing fluorine, bromine, iodine or chlorine atoms, these solvents are stable, non-flammable and fast-evaporating. They also have a high solvent capacity. Our Ensolv® n-propyl bromide-based vapor degreasing solvents are high-quality, effective industrial cleaning solvents used worldwide for difficult metal degreasing applications.
With so many options available, making a choice can be difficult. But that’s where Enviro Tech can help.
What to Consider When Choosing a Solvent
When looking into solvent options, there are several considerations to keep in mind. For example, what components will you be cleaning? How are you currently cleaning them? What are your storage needs? What about costs? And then there are compliance issues related to health and environmental regulations.
Here are a few recommendations to better inform your decision:
- Read the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) and any other product documentation of your solvent options to determine whether the solvent is safe for your material. You don’t want to cause corrosion or weakening.
- Do you have the right equipment? Some solvents require additional ventilation and might not make sense for your current operation.
- Consider compliance requirements and associated costs. Not all solvents fall into the same EPA regulatory category.
- Be careful about comparing costs across the different solvent categories. Because they clean differently and can be reused again and again, the actual long-term cost difference might not be apparent at a quick glance.
The experts at Enviro Tech are ready and waiting to guide you toward the best solvent for your application. Contact us today to learn more about the options available and to find out why Enviro Tech is a leading name in vapor degreasing options.