EnSolv® 5408 is the most trusted n-propyl bromide-based aerospace cleaning solvent for the replacement of trichloroethylene, perchloroethylene and 1,1,1-trichloroethane in aerospace vapor degreasing. It is listed as an approved material on Boeing’s PSD 6-62 specification for use under BAC 5408, as well as Boeing Military Aircraft PSD 12020 Rev Y, Airbus ABR 9-0140 and ABP 8-1294, Bell Helicopter Material Bulletin 1918, Bombardier EMCM-001 (ASTM D6368) and numerous others.
EnSolv® 5408 is a highly effective solvent for removing contaminants — including manufacturing oils and lubricants — from precision parts.
The Responsible Choice for Vapor Degreasing
N-propyl bromide is widely recognized as the aerospace cleaning solvent of choice for environmental responsibility and employee health. Some of EnSolv® 5408’s environmental benefits include:
- Highly stable. EnSolv® 5408 is an azeotropic formula that can be recycled and reused again and again before it needs to be replaced, and is ideal for solvent recovery and recycling programs.
- Materials-friendly. EnSolv® 5408 is compatible with all materials commonly subjected to the vapor degreasing process. This includes many plastics and all metals, including titanium, for which it has passed all stress corrosion and hydrogen embrittlement tests.
- SNAP-approved. While n-propyl bromide is classified as 100 percent volatile organic compound (VOC), independent testing has confirmed that this material exhibits low atmospheric reactivity and does not pose a threat to the ozone layer or contribute to global warming. N-propyl bromide is currently approved by the U.S. EPA under the Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) as an acceptable alternative to ozone-depleting chemicals.
- Energy efficient. EnSolv® 5408 requires moderate temperature operation, saving energy throughout the cleaning and degreasing process.
- A Safer Replacement. Trichloroethylene, a chemical used in vapor degreasing applications from yesteryear, has been classified as a known human carcinogen per the National Toxicology Program – n-Propyl Bromide used in our EnSolv® Products is not classified as such. Even so, Enviro Tech always recommends the use of proper safety equipment and procedures when handling any solvent.
- No Cost Waste Program. EnviroTech has partnered with WRR Environmental Services to offer a disposal/recycling program for spent EnSolv® 5408.
A Better Alternative to TCE and PERC
Many aerospace companies cite EnSolv® 5408’s environmental advantages as their primary reason to choose it over traditional aerospace cleaning solvents TCE (trichloroethylene) and PERC (perchloroethylene). However, it also offers other advantages that can help cut costs and improve efficiencies. Some of these include:
- Fast action. EnSolv® 5408’s high solvency and exceptionally fast evaporation rate can significantly reduce production time.
- No new training. N-propyl bromide is a simple drop-in replacement for chlorinated solvents such as trichloroethylene. It can be immediately used in existing vapor-degreasing procedures without the need for costly and time-consuming training or procedure modification.
- Less regulation. EnSolv® 5408 is nonflammable and is classified as nonhazardous for transport by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Unless containing hazardous contaminants from the cleaning process, spent EnSolv® 5408 is classified as nonhazardous and is not subject to hazardous materials disposal regulations.
- High solvent integrity. EnSolv® 5408 is specifically engineered to meet Boeing’s stringent stability and cleaning efficiency standards. While stabilizer booster is available for this product in five-gallon pails and 55-gallon drums, EnSolv® 5408’s patented stabilizer package is sufficient to maintain solvent integrity under normal use, eliminating the need to purchase supplementary stabilizer in most cases.
Request a Free Sample of EnSolv® 5408
The best way to learn more about EnSolv® 5408 is to try it. Click here to request a free sample of EnSolv® 5408, or call us at 708-613-0530 for more information about the product and/or our EnSolv® 5408 recycling service.